HIGHWAY WB X GLÜCKSTRETER White / Golf Green
UMBRO HIGHWAY WB X GLÜCKSTRETER
Our Second Werder Bremen Sneaker Sets Out a New Path for Sustainable Collabs. The Umbro Highway WB is meticulously designed to reflect the fanaticism and solidarity of the SV Werder Bremen fan community who, like us, put sustainability right near the top of their list of priorities.
Following our special edition Werder Bremen sneaker in 2019, we have again linked up with Bremen’s local streetwear heroes Glückstreter, for a new sneaker that goes above and beyond in terms of detail, styling and carefully selected materials.
Purposefully avoiding the use of leather throughout the design, this limited edition capsule remixes the Umbro Highway model, initially launched for SS20 as part of our Archive Research Project.
With Glückstreter and Werder Bremen, we decided to turn this typically minimalist and lowkey sneaker on its head; altering the DNA of the shoe to be much more sustainable throughout, whilst layering in a number of nods to the club and its international fanbase.
This move, in no small part inspired by Bremen’s own move to sustainability typified by the club’s largely solar powered stadium is for us an opportunity to bring more transparency to the collaboration process. This isn’t just a ‘more’ sustainable sneaker, but one that takes consumer waste out of circulation to create something new, and responsibly sources the remainder of its materials.
- Sockliner made with 97% recycled E.V.A plastic
- PU Upper made with 45% recycled post consumer waste
- Each of the five pairs of laces included are made using 100% recycled materials
- The outsole is made from a combination of natural rubber (90%) and recycled rubber (10%) This creates the visible blemishes in the sole.
Each of the 1,500 available pairs are unique from one another, and evoking the natural patterns of flooring in Bremen’s beloved Art Nouveau houses and thus also the floor in the Glückstreter store. Of course, the white and green of the river islanders forms the basis for our design, but there are a number of intimate details across the shoe, showing the same spirit of attention to detail which the club itself identifies with.
- ‘WERDER’ and ‘BREMEN’ are words proudly displayed through windows on the outside of the left and right shoe respectively, while
- Emblazoned on the left heel is the Bremen key, representative of the city as a whole
- On the right, the diamond of SV Werder Bremen.
- The symbolism continues on the back of each tongue, with insignia representing the club’s home at the wohninvest WESERSTADION, and the other a custom designed symbol to denote the unfaltering connection between Werder, its fans and their city
Again, our partners in creation, Glückstreter get pride of place, with the name of the store split across the left and right lace tags, beneath which, the owners of each pair are able to personalise their WB Highway’s with one of five pairs of laces included. From laces inspired by the diamonds of the river islanders, or the ‘bacon flag’ of the city, to a proud, rainbow display of solidarity with the LGBTQI+ community there are laces for everyone designed to put a finishing touch on a shoe meticulously designed to inspire anyone who loves SV Werder Bremen.